Monday, January 09, 2006

A New Venture


This is a new venture for me. Others have insisted it is an easy journey, from my mind to the blog...it may be easier said than done, for my mind is consistently on overload! I no sooner get a thought and it expands into a full scale book!

At any rate, I am bound and determined to use this space to show off what I am doing in my creative world. At times it will simply be musings, at others I will post photos of some of my quilts and fiber art post cards.

I am currently involved in making a quilted shower curtain. One of the groups I belong to, Fiber Artist Traders, has a great group of gals on it, and they are always trying to dream up new swaps for the group. One suggestion that I took note of, not for swapping (too much work goes into a shower curtain) but for my newly remodeled living room and attached guest bath was an altered shower curtain, however mine would be a quilt with a seaside theme. My LR and Bath have been remodeled to resemble what I think the inside of a beach cottage would look like with wainscoting going from the floor up 40", then nicely textured, painted walls above.

But on to the shower curtain. I had a pattern from Woods and Quilts of a three part quilt, it was to be about 30x36 inches in size. I had it enlarged so that it would comfortably fill the space in front of the tub. There are three sections to it...the sky (I chose a setting sun with an early evening sky of hand painted fabric in pinks, lavender and blue with a little white. The middle section is of the sea surface and holds a clipper ship with a peninsula and of course, a lighthouse (a passion of mine). Under the sea comes next, and the largest portion of the curtain, when it comes to size. It has a boulder sitting upon the sand, a beautiful mermaid resting her upper body on the boulder whilst her tail is beneath the surface. I will attempt to post the few pictures I have of various parts of the curtain, and we can see what becomes of it as I proceed. I am always a work in progress, and even when I get a good start on a project, more ideas flood in and consequently there is constant revising taking place until I feel I have everything just right for me.

I will be adding (to the best of my plans at the present time) lots of embellishment on this. Everything seems very one dimensional at the present time, but by the time I am finished with it, I am hoping it will develop a personality of it's own!

As I was creating this, I decided to add portions of the main design that would extend into the border. They are at this time some of the landscaping around the lighthouse, as well as the mermaid's tail. There will be other items extending into the border on the opposite side to balance it. Since this latest photo was taken on 12/27/05, I have added sand at the very bottom of the quilt, as well as some bits of sea grasses on the near side of the curtain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home