Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in this blog. Your thoughts are very helpful to me and in some cases beyond kind! Nice to know I have friends out there whom I have yet to meet in person!

I am involved in a few very interesting groups on-line. One of them is the Fiber Artist Traders, who create and trade their works of art via a fiber post card, which is created and actually mailed to our swap partners. I try to fit in at least two swaps a month to keep my hand active in this endeavor, sometimes the swaps tend to get a tad bit out of hand, in that my art is a realistic type of art with a twist. You always will recognize what I create, but perhaps, such as my Flying Colors swap card, not what the card is wearing. The Flying Colors was a swap in which the participants were to use the colors of their nations flag to create a card. Now you must know that the only place I have ever been other than the United States has been Canada. I am not a world traveler, but this group has members from all over the world in it and I have been lucky enough to have shared art with artists from other nations as well as the wonderful United States of America. I love my country, although I do have some problems at times with those who govern us...don't we all? At any rate, here is my Flying Colors, which was created back in September 2005, but will always be a popular subject for me...

At the current time this group has a themed swap entitled Ageless Post Card Swap. We were told to create a card depicting our favorite age. It will soon be known that my favorite age is now...at the age of 66, I have come into my own. It is wonderful to not have to get up in the a.m. and prepare myself for a grueling day at the office. I worked for 17+ years for the local school district in the Facilities Department, who got to spend the big bucks for creating new schools and refurbishing older ones. Our district, Bethel School District, has close to 18,000 students, and is growing by leaps and bounds. When I began working for them there were almost 9,000 students, at by the standards of our county, it was a large district, especially because it is a rural district. I believe at the present time there are around 25 schools in our district which encompasses approximately 250 square miles. Hence, my days were spent traveling the district, as well as spending an undue amount of time at the County Building Permit counter obtaining permits to add new classrooms to existing sites, as well as seeing that permits were obtained in an orderly manner for other projects throughout the district. At any rate, it is so wonderful to be able to sleep in until 6 or 7 a.m. these days and to not have to worry about what will I wear to work! And so, my creation for the Ageless swap is to create myself at the age I am. I am happy with my age and my accomplishments, and I have found that even though I was declared an adult at the age of 21 (I guess because I was able to vote, I could be called an adult), I have discovered that we do not quit growing because we have reached that elusive title, but that we continue to grow, and where I am at currently is indeed a wonderful place to be. I have the opportunity to do what I desire and if I am not done with it at the end of the day, I can stay up and work on it till the next day if I so desire.

And so, here is my humble creation. As I love to quilt, I have pieced a tiny quilt using 1" pieces of fabric to create the background for my comic like image. I have been told by friends who know me when they seem me on the streets that the image in only correct in the hair color, and the color of the clothing I wear, other than that, she is a bit oversized for my present self... I do love the little twig hat she is sporting! It looks to me to be rather like the tumble weeds that blew around the farm I lived on when growing up up in Eastern Washington.

Another list I am on, called the Fairy Goddess Mothers, creates the most wonderous quilts using of course, fairies as the centerpiece. I am a great fan of fairies, have believed in them since a small child. I was lucky enough to have an Irish father, and he told some of the most amazing stories of fairies and, of course, leprechans as well. Our list mom, Linda Poole, is an amazing artist and has created a challenge for us this year. It is a fairy goddess pattern that will have colors assigned to it each month and by the end of this year we will have ourselves a fantastic quilt made. This little fairy has a butterfly body, but it is surely a fairy. Our theme for the month of January is the Fairy of Winter and we were to use blue and white for the colors of this block. List mom invariably comes up with a side challenge to get us charged up and raring to go and this month the first person to post received a wonderful 2006 calendar from AQS, no small prize that! It was won by a newbie to our list, Susan from Australia! That is so wonderful. I think it really gives those new comers a boost to discover that they can win something so quickly after joining a list. Congratulations to Sue! Here is my take on the Fairy of Winter...

Well that is it for this day's posting, unless some-thing earth shattering happens later on in the day!

"Art is...the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced..." Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

1 Comments:

Blogger JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love this idea of the fairy quilt - is this group open to anyone, or is it by invitation only? I have been thinking of doing a "little people" quilt of some sort, have some ideas rolling around, some even down on paper. Wonderful blog!
Jo - just north or Bellingham

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home