Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Goodness, It is May Already!!!

May already! Wow, what happened to April, I was just going good on it too!

One of the challenges (from list mom Linda Poole on the Fairie Goddess Mothers Yahoo group) I accomplished already this month was to create a quilted journal page. These are small mini-quilts, just measuring the size of a piece of paper, 8.5" x 11", well mine is 10"x12", but no quilt or journal police live here! I even went so far as to add a poem to it, and although I am not the type to normally write poetry, this little ditty came to mind, so will include it for you to read as well...



Sunshine

Come dance with me amongst the daffodils~
And we will sing praises to the distant hills
Whilst the sun peeks out up above
'Tween puffy clouds for a day we all love!

Between Linda and the FGM group, and Normajean on the Fiber Art Traders group, I am learning more through their monthly challenges than I ever thought could be possible at my age! I love creating the smaller items, never was much of a 'small' quilt person, generally made only bed sized quilts, but thanks to Linda I have learned that the creativity does flow nicely on a wall hanging, or even quicker with the journal sized 'quiltlets', as she calls them. As for the postcards and other altered art work, I am certain that I found my calling...for they are a joy to create, and even more fun to share with others (receiving mail from my cyber friends is a joy that is beyond compare). Those who have known me long know that I have had a hard time justifying my love of creating, given the ridicule I was handed when growing up over my wastefulness when I would create something in the art line. If it couldn't be eaten, or worn, or slept under, it just was not worth the time to do it. I am so happy that I have found many cyber friends who think differently about my creations and have begun to get an ego that is larger than it should be! Yes, I keep feeding that ego, when it is larger than my hat size I may slow down....but don't take that as being gospel!




MISHAP WITH MY NEW TOY...

I recently purchased a gently used Brother ULT 2003 sewing/embroidery machine. I have not used it for sewing yet, mainly purchased it for the larger embroidery field as I seem to be digitizing more and more designs that are in a larger format. I was busy test sewing my newest creation and had stitched out 3 of the 10 colors necessary to create the design. As I was attempting to thread the needle with the 4th color the unthinkable happened to the machine, the knob I was pressing to bring the needle threader down to the needle fell off! Immediately I hear the sound of metal dropping and hitting something inside the machine head. When I peered down to see if I could tell what it was, I noticed a part of the machine sitting there, so being the A personality I am, I determined that I could remove the cover and put it back to wherever it came from, and at the same time reattach the threader knob...it just was not to be, for when I opened the cover, I saw not one part, but two laying in there. I gathered them up along with a rubber washer type thing and put them into a zip lock baggie, and took that machine down to the dealer for repair...I am not concerned about the cost of repairs, the machine has only been in my house for 6 weeks and I have a maintenance agreement on it...I do, however, take offense at the fact that it will be hospitalized for a whole week, 7 days without it stitching along and me smiling at what it is turning out!

There is only one good thing about this happening, and that is that I must now occupy my time with other projects, which have been lacking the attention due them. I began the Sunshine Journal Quilt just yesterday and finished it with some handwork this morning. I still have the May Fairie Goddess to create, and will begin that tonight, hopefully will have it completed tomorrow, and can give my much neglected shower curtain another coat of thread painting to enhance another area of it. I am a fairly new person to the technique of thread painting and have yet to really feel comfortable with it, and I know I must be comfortable in doing it before the work will fly...I do seem to be taking out or un-stitching, less of what I stitch, so I may be gathering the needed confidence to really put the pedal to the metal as they say. I have discovered that music helps me to obtain a rhythm to the stitching, so if any of you hear loud music, I may be the guilty party!


Enough for now...more creating is waiting in the wings, and I believe I am up to that personal challenge as well!

Hugs Y'all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home