Monday, November 06, 2006

Rain, rain, go away!

I must tell you that rain in the Pacific Northwest has outdone itself today. We have received a total for the month increased by almost 3 inches over our normal monthly rainfall and are only 6 days into the month! We do not expect to see dry weather for another 2-3 days either!

I am not too concerned for myself, for I live much higher than the locations that are experiencing higher flood levels than have been experienced in the PNW for over 15 years.

I have kept indoors, and have been busily creating and sewing...mainly quilting. I am hand quilting a quilt for a first time mother, and it is almost to the state of being finished, just a couple more blocks and I will then quilt the border, then do the binding on it. It is exciting to finish a project such as this one up, and I am certain the new mom and her baby will be very excited and happy to receive this lovely quilt. Photos will be posted when it is finished and delivered, but not till then.

Other items I am involved in making, just to give me a break from the quilting are a Dream Holder, which is a triangular gift box, meant to hold a surprise for the recipient. I can see such items as a item of jewelry placed in one of these boxes and then the box hung on a Christmas tree in December. No doubt I will stock this box with chocolates, and for some, that is just as good as jewelry, perhaps better! I hope to be able to finish my Dream Holder in the next couple of days and get a photo taken of it to share.

Last night while I was quilting, I also had the embroidery machine humming away and completed 4 tree ornaments during the evening. These are of free standing lace, meaning that they do not need fabric to keep them from raveling out and becoming a mass of thread. There are so many stitches in each of them, and all stitches are anchored by threads traveling in an diagonal direction over and over till they become fabric themselves. Of this collection I will be keeping the heart shaped ornament for myself, but the other three are going to be traded with others who participated in the Fiber Art Traders Monday Night Challenge/Trade. This is a fun opportunity to create at least one ornament, usually in a new technique, and get it posted in a 24 hour period. We have had many challenges in the past, some for post cards and bookmarks, and it really lets us strut our stuff, so to speak.

Well, that is it for today...let's see what tomorrow brings to the Landstrom residence!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

They are beautiful... but the mouse is a "gotta have".

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home